CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Discovering Individuality

Pretty intense title, right? Well, the thing is, I started talking about this earlier and I figured it was a pretty interesting topic, even if more than several people who read this have probably already experienced what I'm just discovering.

Taste in music. Not just music accually, other things follow the same pattern , I just find it easiest to relate it to music. What I started thinking about today was how it's sort of crazy that me and my sister love our favorite bands in almost the EXACT same way, even though they're different bands. Like, one day when I'd first started listening to Fall Out Boy, I said something to my sister about a specific situation that made me think of their lyrics or something like that, and she jumped in right away saying how that sounded exactly like something that happened to her, except pertaining to My Chemical Romance. And up untill just recently I figured that you liked whatever kind of music you listened you, not the other way around. I guess I'm just figuring out how to listen to the kind of music I like.

I assume this happens to pretty much everyone. You grow up in the backseat of your parents' car and listen to whatever records your mom is listening to or your dad's favorite radio station. And when someone asks you what kind of music you like, you tell them just the same. For me, it was country. I always accepted the self-assumed fact that I liked country music because that's what I heard most of the time, since it's what my mom liked. And, as my peers moved into late elementary or early middle school, I came to the conclusion that every one of them had the exact same taste in music - all the mainstream, Brittney Spears, boy band stuff that you had to listen to unless you were a total nobody. But in all honestly, I bet only ten percent of those trend-followers would still listen to that same exact genre of their own free will now that we're starting to realize we accually have individual tastes.

I also would very much like to know where our taste in music comes from. Judging by my own experience and the experience of several people I know, I'd have to say it looks like it's not an inherited thing. And it's not a primitive, survival instinct thing like your taste in guys. As far as our science teachers have told us, apparently our definition of an attractive specimin of the opposite gender is implanted in our brains as a way to preserve the human race. Whatever that means. But I doubt our species' survival depends on a person's liking rap music, so it kind of makes me wonder what part of our bodies or souls determines whether we're into the pop and punk and rock sounds, or into the hip-hop, R & B, and all that. And do we somehow subconsiously know what kind of music we like when we're really little? Or does it just come to us gradually?

So, basically, I'm fascinated with this little random topic. For the longest time I was convinced that anyone could fall in love with whatever kind of music they heard if they only had to listen to it for long enough. I'm pretty convinced now that that isn't true. I mean, I listened to country music for eleven years of my life and never felt the same way as I did the first time I heard Dance, Dance. I couldn't stop listening to it. I pressed repeat on my iPod at least twelve times before I could tear myself away and make myself listen to the next song. And then the same thing happened with Thnks fr th Mmrs (I have to give credit to my sis on that one - she bought those first two FOB songs for me and pretty much sent me into a spiraling, out-of-control obessesion. And I'd like to thank her from the bottom of my heart for it). So for a while, while I was infatuated with those two songs, my sister would go "Oh, so you're a Fall Out Boy fan?". I honestly didn't have a clue who Fall Out Boy was. I knew their name and I knew a couple of their songs, but I would just respond "No, basically it's just that I love those two songs." Then it turned into 5 songs and now it's tipping somewhere at 61. It was basically love at first sight. Except my eyes must have been directly connected to my ears which led straight to my heart.

So, just incase anyone who reads this feels like wasting a few minutes, I'd like to end this monotonously lengthy post with a request for the aforementioned people: If you have a favorite group or singer who you fell in love with, I'd love to hear about it. It's sort of like a science empiriment for me. I'd just like to observe whether this whole "love at first listen" thing is, A) a product of my insanity and pretty much limited to being something that only I experience, or B) something that happens to a lot of people at some point or another. So, if you have any interest in proving my sanity, go ahead and tell me about your musical love story.

5 comments:

Jenna said...

You wanted a musical love story ... so it's only fitting that I tell you about my chemical romance <3
So there's this guy. His name is Gerard, and he's the most amazing man I've never met. He and his friends, Frankie, Mikey, Ray, and Bob ... they're all so great. And their music speaks to people - spoke to me - in a way no music has ever spoken to me before.
It all started with Welcome to the Black Parade and it just grew from there. The passion behind their words was so strong, it reached out to me. A song had never made me feel that way before.
Then I looked up some of the lyrics to their other songs ... it was pure poetry. Never had I heard a band with so much talent, whose songs could mean so much to so many people.
It was just magic from that point all. Three albums and a bunch of B-sides later, and I knew it was meant to be. Now we're practically inseperable. Those boys are with me everywhere I go, in the form of music on my iPod.
Me and MCR ... 'till death do us part <3
...
Hey. Don't laugh at me. You DID ask for a love story ;)

Anonymous said...

xD I love that! lol I've got the same object of affection. . .but a different story. Here goes.

I first heard MCR in the Estee Lauder make-up department of Dillards while my mom was buying make-up. At first I actually didn't notice it but then my mom said. . .hey what is this??? I like it! The song was Helena, and at that time it was very new.
I at that time had no real means to find out what song it was, but it was tearing me apart I NEEDED to know it was like something in it was there for me. A month later I was at my friend's house and she asked me if I had ever hear of My Chemical Romance, my reply "No." so she put on the CD track one: Helena. I wanted to scream "That's it! That's it!" I think I borrowed that Cd from her a million times. I soon fell captive to I'm Not Okay (I Promise), and You Don't Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison. Then I found the backstory on Helena and I knew why I loved it so dearly without even knowing anything about the band or the song. It was written for Gerard (who's name I did not know at the time) and Mikey's grandmother, who was their closest family member. My grandmother had just died. It was what I felt. . .she WAS my world.
I decided to search My Chemical Romance on the library computers and I found "Bullets". I checked it out. . .and fell in love all over again. Something about their rendition of "Spanish Romance" (shortened to "Romance" on their album) captivated me. I and recall trying to hold back tears when listening to Demolition Lovers.
I waited for news on a new Cd. . .in the meantime reading up on the band. I found so much in Gerard, so much hope. Finally my brother comes running into my room one day saying "Guess what's on TV! The new My Chem video!" and I heard "Welcome to the black parade" there is something about that song that touches every bone in my body. "Your memory will cary on!" It again brought me to my yia-yia. We sang those same words in Greek (may your memory be eternal. . .same thing) at her funeral. It made me KNOW that I had to listen to them.

They keep me up. They give me a little more hope than I thought I might have had. They remind me of what's important, and they inspire me to do something "worthwhile" with MY life.

Haha that was uber long. . .and I didn't proof it.

rockin_robin said...

That's OK ^.^ Uber long's good. It makes me feel not-so-awful about making you sit through my paragraphs upon paragraphs of things that are supposed to be meaningful but usually just ooze pathetic FOB-related mental illness.

Loved your story. It would probably be helpful to my plight of proving my own sanity if I had a real, plausible REASON for loving Fall Out Boy, like with you and MCR it's the references to your grandmother. I have no clue why I love FOB. I just do. I can't come near to relating my life to their songs, but my heart races everytime I hear them nonetheless. It's sort of unexplainable and makes me wonder whether I should be seeing a therapist.

rockin_robin said...

Oh, and to my nameless sister:

Just to let you know, when you wrote "'till death do us part", I thought of Hum Hallelujah.

Thought that might make your day. Or at least make you roll your eyes.

Anonymous said...

xD Haha well I don't mind long posts. I actually enjoy reading them!!!

Hum Hallelujah! That may be my favorite FOB song ^_^